Plymouth, N.H.--Senior forward Komla Dogbey (Providence, RI) scored a pair of goals, including the game-winner, to lead the Rhode Island College men's soccer team to a 3-2 victory at Plymouth State in a Little East Conference game on Saturday afternoon.
With the win, Rhode Island College has captured a share of the Little East Conference Regular Season Championship for the second consecutive season. The Anchormen share the title with Western Connecticut.
The Colonials, by virtue of their, 1-0, win over the Anchormen on Oct. 15 will be the No. 1 seed in the upcoming four-team Little East Conference Men's Soccer Championship, which begins on Nov. 1. RIC will host third-seeded UMass Boston in semifinal action on Wednesday.
Rhode Island College 3, Plymouth State 2
(Plymouth State 6-10-0, 3-4-0 LEC)
(Rhode Island College 8-7-1, 5-2 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Plymouth State took the early lead at the 18:13 mark when junior defenseman Melker Blomberg (Stockholm, Sweden) scored on a rebounded indirect free kick.
• RIC answered quickly, however, when sophomore midfielder Preston Kar (Monrovia, Liberia) notched his first goal of the season, off of a rebound after a corner kick, to knot the game at 1-1 at the 18:47 mark.
• Dogbey then tallied the first of his two goals on the day after he put in a bicycle kick off of a cross from senior defenseman Elimane Seye (Providence, RI) in the 27th minute.
• RIC took a 2-1 lead heading into halftime after outshooting Plymouth State by a 10-6 margin in the stanza.
• The Anchormen extended the lead to 3-1 at the 49:01 mark when Dogbey put in what would prove to be the game-winner after a crossing pass from sophomore midfielder Michael Faria (West Warwick, RI).
• Plymouth State senior forward Nick Rutherford (Sydney, Australia) put in a free kick from just outside the box in the 90th minute to cut the lead down to 3-2.
• Sophomore Charlie Tashjian (West Warwick, RI) (8-6-1) made four saves for RIC in the victory, while freshman goalkeeper Linus Lindberg (Stockholm, Sweden) (5-7) had seven saves in the loss for Plymouth State.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC held a 17-8 advantage in shots and a 7-2 advantage in corner kicks in the contest.