Providence, R.I.—Sophomore catcher Nick Feola (North Providence, RI) went 3-for-4 with three runs scored and four RBI to lead the Rhode Island College baseball team to a commanding, 15-6, victory over Fitchburg State at Pontarelli Field on Friday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 15, Fitchburg State 6
Rhode Island College (13-8)
Fitchburg State (7-11-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC jumped out to an early lead in the bottom of the first when junior first baseman Tyler Walsh (Cumberland, RI) belted his fourth home run of the season, a two-run shot to left center, that staked the Anchormen to a 2-0 advantage. After RIC scored a pair of unearned runs on a Fitchburg State miscue, the Anchormen extended their lead to 6-0 on a two-run home run from junior catcher Nick Feola (North Providence, RI). It was Feola's first home run of the season.
• Fitchburg State got on the board in the top of the second on an RBI ground out from senior first baseman Andrew Currie (Quincy, MA) to make the score 6-1.
• The Anchormen extended their lead to 7-1 in the bottom of the second after a sacrifice fly from sophomore left fielder Mike Webb (Pawtucket, RI).
• The visiting Falcons cut the lead down to 7-2 in the top of the fourth on and RBI triple from freshman center fielder Nicholas Cordeau (Melrose, MA).
• An RBI single from Feola scored Webb and Feola then came around to score on a bases loaded walk in the bottom of the fourth to put RIC up 9-2.
• Fitchburg State chipped away at the lead in the top of the sixth when Cordeau's two-run home run to deep left made the score 9-4. The Falcons then made the score 9-6 on a two-run double from senior right fielder Sean Maki (Fitchburg, MA).
• RIC answered in the bottom of the frame with three more runs, including RBI singles from Feola and Webb and an RBI triple from junior designated hitter Tyler Calabro (Cumberland, RI), to pull ahead 12-6.
• Fitchburg State threatened in the top of the seventh when they loaded the bases with no outs, but couldn't push across a run.
• RIC tacked onto the lead in the bottom of the eighth when they tallied three runs, including a two-run double from sophomore pinch hitter Nate Donovan (Lincoln, RI), to cruise to the win.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Fitchburg State scored six runs on eight hits.
• The Anchormen scored 15 runs on 14 hits and three Fitchburg State errors.
• Webb went 3-for-4 with three runs scored and two RBI, while Walsh went 2-for-4 with two runs scored in the win for the Anchormen.
• Cordeau went 3-for-6 with one run scored and three RBI, while Maki was 2-for-4 with two RBI in the setback for Fitchburg State.
• Freshman lefthander Christian Sanchez (Providence, RI) picked up his third win of the season in relief for RIC, throwing 2.1 innings with four strikeouts.
• Sophomore starter Jack Gallant (Hammond Plains, Nova Scotia) suffered the loss for Fitchburg State, giving up seven runs on five hits with one strikeout in one and a third innings of work.
• RIC has won four straight games.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will resume Little East action with a doubleheader tomorrow afternoon at Keene State (Noon).