Rindge, N.H.--The Rhode Island College baseball team split a twinbill with Fitchburg State in a non-conference doubleheader played at Pappas Field on the campus of Franklin Pierce on Sunday afternoon. RIC posted an 11-6 win in the opener, with Fitchburg State rallying for a 7-6 win in the nightcap.
RIC 11, Fitchburg State 6
Fitchburg State 7, RIC 6
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC junior second baseman Nate Vigeant (Coventry, RI) went 4-for-5 with two runs scored and two RBI, while junior center fielder Josh Silva (Seekonk, MA) was 2-for-4 with two runs scored and two RBI in the win.
• Fitchburg State senior Noah Millard (Leominster, MA) was 3-for-4 with a run scored and three RBI. Freshman right fielder Brendan Ferrell (Plymouth, MA) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and an RBI in the loss.
• Freshman pitcher Connor Davey (Cheshire, CT) improved to a perfect 3-0 for RIC, allowing six runs, just two of them earned, on nine hits to go along with eight strikeouts in 6.2 innings of work.
• Junior Richard Sharp (Townsend, MA) suffered the loss for Fitchburg State, allowing four runs on six hits in two innings.
• RIC took the lead in the top of the second when it plated four runs, including two run single from Silva, to grab the 4-0 advantage.
• Fitchburg State responded in the bottom half of the third when Milliard hit a two run home run to make the score 4-2.
• The Anchormen tacked on four more runs in the top of the fourth as a two run double to right from junior catcher Sam Franco (Cranston, RI) helped give the team the 8-2 advantage.
• In the top of the seventh, RIC sophomore left fielder Joseph Coro (North Providence, RI) laced a two-run single to right, while Vigeant doubled home Coro for the 11-2 edge.
• Fitchburg State answered back in the bottom half of the stanza as the Falcons pushed across four runs, but it wouldn't be enough as RIC held on for the 11-6 victory.
• RIC junior third baseman Ray Zincone (West Warwick, RI) went 1-for-2 with two runs scored and an RBI. Junior shortstop Rommy Morel (Providence, RI) drove in a pair of runs in the loss for the Anchormen.
• FSU freshman designated hitter Vincent Eramo (Shirley, MA) was 2-for-3 with a run scored and two RBI, while junior shortstop Brandon Lefebvre (Leominster, MA) was 1-for-2 with a run and two RBI in the win for the Falcons.
• Junior Jake Rockefeller (Cumberland, RI) suffered the loss for RIC, allowing one run on two hits to go along with two strikeouts in one inning of relief.
• Sophomore Lucas Amico (Leominster, MA) recorded the win for Fitchburg State, allowing one run on one hit in one inning of relief.
• Fitchburg State grabbed a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first on a two run double from Eramo. A sacrifice fly from Lefebvre, scoring Eramo, gave the Falcons the 3-0 advantage after three innings.
• Rhode Island College answered back in the top half of the fourth, scoring five runs with Zincone, junior catcher Nick Feola (North Providence, RI), Morel, freshman Charlie Amarante (Bristol, RI) and Coro each tallying RBI singles to take a 5-3 lead.
• Fitchburg State regained the lead in the bottom of the fifth as the hosts scored three runs, including an RBI single from junior second baseman Timothy Horton (Northampton, MA), for the 6-5 lead.
• The Anchormen knotted the game at 6-6 in the top of the sixth when Zincone scored on a sacrifice fly from Morel.
• Fitchburg State took the lead back in its half of the sixth as Lefebvre knocked in Milliard with a single to left to give the Falcons the 7-6 victory.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will travel to Eastern Connecticut for the Anchormen's Little East Conference opener on Tuesday, March 26 (4 p.m.).