Providence, R.I.—Junior reliever Jake Rockefeller (Lincoln, RI) picked up a win and a save to help lead the Rhode Island College baseball team to a sweep of Castleton in a Little East Conference doubleheader played at Pontarelli Field on Sunday afternoon. RIC took game one, 3-2, and finished the sweep with a 5-4 win in the nightcap.
Game One: Rhode Island College 3, Castleton 2
Game Two: Rhode Island College 5, Castleton 4
Castleton (10-11, 2-3 LEC)
RIC (15-7, 3-2 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC junior shortstop Rommy Morel (Providence, RI) went 2-for-3 with a run scored, while junior third baseman Ryan Rotondo (Warwick, RI) and freshman designated hitter Stephen Andrews (Lincoln, RI) each had two hits in the win.
• Castleton junior first baseman Davis Mikell (Williston, VT) was 2-for-4 with a run scored in the loss.
• Rockefeller picked up the win (4-2) in relief, allowing one run on four hits in 1.2 innings. Senior starter Mike Webb (Pawtucket, RI) was masterful over 7.1 innings, allowing just one run on six hits to go along with nine strikeouts.
• Sophomore Andy Kenosh (Rutland, VT) took the loss (1-1) in relief for Castleton, allowing one run on two hits in two innings.
• RIC got on the board first when Morel singled and came around to score on a passed ball to put the Anchormen up, 1-0.
• Castleton evened the score at 1-1 in the bottom of the seventh on an RBI single from senior left fielder Pat Mumford (Fairbanks, AL).
• RIC regained the lead in the top of the eighth when junior pinch hitter Nate Donovan (Lincoln, RI) smacked an RBI single to make the score, 2-1.
• Again, Castleton responded and knotted the game, 2-2, in the bottom of the eighth on an RBI single from senior shortstop Dylan Bailey (Waterbury, VT).
• In the top of the ninth, junior second baseman Nate Vigeant (Coventry, RI) led off with a walk and advanced to third on a double from Rotondo. He later scored on a fly ball from junior catcher Sam Franco (Cranston, RI) to give RIC the lead.
• Rockefeller then retired the side in the ninth to nail down the victory.
• Franco went 3-for-4 with an RBI, while Morel was 2-for-3 in the win for RIC.
• Junior catcher John Stewart III (Granville, NY) was 2-for-4 with an RBI in the loss for the Spartans.
• Freshman Cameron Harris (Cranston, RI) earned the win (1-1) on the mound for RIC, allowing one run on one hit with two strikeouts in three innings of relief. Rockefeller picked up the save (1) with a perfect ninth for the Anchormen.
• Castleton sophomore Max Olmstead (East Montpellier, VT) took the loss, allowing two runs on three hits in three innings of work.
• Castleton took the early advantage with a pair of runs in the first, highlighted by an RBI double from senior right fielder Dillon Benham (Lenox, MA) for the 2-0 advantage.
• RIC responded in the top of the third and used a sacrifice fly from freshman right fielder Charlie Amarante (Bristol, RI) and an RBI single from Vigeant to knot the game, 2-2.
• The Anchormen then went up, 3-2, in the top of the fourth on senior Tyler Wash's (Cumberland, RI) fourth home run of the season.
• Once again, Castleton responded and tied the game, 3-3, on an RBI single from Bailey in the bottom of the fifth.
• After two scoreless innings, RIC took a 5-3 advantage with a pair of runs in the top if the eighth, which included an RBI single from Franco.
• The Spartans cut the lead down to one, 5-4, in the bottom of the eighth on an RBI single from Stewart.
• Rockefeller then came in to shut down the side in the bottom of the ninth to earn his first save of the season and preserve the victory.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Roger Williams on Monday, April 8 (3:30 p.m.).