Providence, R.I.—Sophomore left fielder Joseph Coro (North Providence, RI) went 3-for-5 with a double, homer and an RBI as Rhode Island College earned its 20th win of the season in an 11-5 victory over Anna Maria at Pontarelli Field on Sunday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 11, Anna Maria 5
Rhode Island College (20-8)
Anna Maria (11-21)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Junior designated hitter Ryan Rotundo (Warwick, RI) went 2-for-5 with two runs scored and two RBI. He also hurled 1.1 innings of scoreless relief.
• Freshman shortstop Kosta Drosidis (Holden, MA) led the way for the AMCats, going 3-for-4 with a run scored, an RBI and a solo homer (6).
• Coro led off the bottom of the first with his second homer of the year, a solo shot to left field. Anna Maria took the lead, 2-1, in the third on an RBI single by sophomore designated hitter Noah Holland (Sandwich, MA) and an RBI groundout by sophomore third baseman Jake Crevier (Ware, MA).
• RIC broke the game open in the fifth inning, scoring five runs on six hits. Rotundo knocked in a pair with a two-run single in the frame.
• AMC pulled within a run, 6-5, with three runs in the seventh, highlighted by a Drosidis solo homer.
• The Anchormen blew the game open with a five-run seventh, capitalizing on four AMC errors. Feola knocked in two with a single.
• Senior starter Tyler Shemick (Foster, RI) earned the win (3-1) with four strikeouts in 6.2 innings of work. AMC senior starter Colin Pipkin (Peoria, AZ) suffered the loss (1-5), allowing just one earned run on nine hits in five innings of work.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will resume Little East action at home vs. Western Connecticut on Tuesday, April 16 (3:30 p.m.).