Quincy, Mass.—Senior forward Benjamin Vezele (Providence, RI) notched a double-double with 15 points and 12 rebounds as Rhode Island College won, 84-65, at Eastern Nazarene to open the 2019-20 regular season on Monday evening.
Rhode Island College 84, Eastern Nazarene 65
Rhode Island College (1-0)
Eastern Nazarene (0-1)
HOW IT HAPPENEND
• Junior guard Keyshaun Jacobs (Lynn, MA) finished with a game-high 26 points. He connected on four three-pointers and made 10-of-11 from the free throw line.
• Freshman guard Shion Darby (Peekskill, NY) registered 20 points, seven assists and grabbed four rebounds. Sophomore guard Deyshawn Tengbeh (East Providence, RI) rounded out the RIC double-figure scorers with 14 points and just missed a double-double with nine rebounds. He also swiped four steals.
• Senior guard Garrett Crandell (Bristol, TN) led the Lions with 15 points, while senior guard Noah Cheney (Bend, OR) scored 11. Junior center Fred Smith (Dorchester, MA) hauled down 10 boards.
• RIC led by five points, 41-36, at halftime.
• The Anchormen pulled away in the second half, outscoring the hosts by 14, 43-29.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 36 percent (25-for-70) from the field, 23 percent (7-for-30) from three-point range and 77 percent (27-for-35) from the free throw line.
• ENC shot 44 percent (24-for-55) from the field, 21 percent (4-for-19) from downtown and 81 percent (13-for-16) from the charity stripe.
• The Lions outrebounded RIC, 44-41. The Anchormen turned the ball over 14 times, while ENC committed 27 turnovers. RIC posted 12 steals and scored 31 points off Lion miscues.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at St. Joseph's (CT) on Saturday, Nov. 16 (7 p.m.).