New London, Conn.--Rhode Island College senior midfielder Kevin Tay Munoz (Providence, RI) scored on a penalty kick in the 29th minute to lead the Anchormen past Coast Guard, 1-0, in the season-opener for both teams.
Rhode Island College 1, Coast Guard 0
Rhode Island College (1-0)
Coast Guard (0-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The two clubs played nearly 30 minutes before a foul in the box set up the Tay Munoz go-ahead marker.
• Offense was hard to come by in the first half, as Rhode Island College held a 4-1 lead in shots, while the hosts led in corner kicks, 2-1.
• Coast Guard kept RIC at bay in the second half and led in shots, 6-1. Each team had a corner kick opportunity in the final frame.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC junior goalkeeper Charlie Tashjian (West Warwick, RI) made one save in the shutout victory (1-0).
• Coast Guard senior goalkeeper Dakota Harich (New Market, MD) suffered the loss (0-1).
• Coast Guard led in shots, 7-5, and corner kicks, 3-2.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at Worcester State on Wednesday, Sept. 4 (7 p.m.).