Providence, R.I.—Freshman midfielder Axel Ortega (Providence, RI) scored his first career goal as the Rhode Island College men's soccer team battled Roger Williams to a 1-1 double overtime tie at Alumni Field on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 1, Roger Williams University 1 2OT
Rhode Island College (1-1-1)
Roger Williams University (1-1-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC took the lead in the first half when freshman midfielder Axel Ortega (Providence, RI) found the back of the net for his first collegiate goal in the 30th minute.
• Junior goalkeeper Charlie Tashjian (West Warwick, RI) came up with a huge save off of RWU junior midfielder Jordan Lach's (Norton, MA) point blank opportunity in the 66th minute to keep RIC on top.
• It wasn't until the 78th minute when sophomore midfielder Tyler Andrade (South Glastonbury, CT) scored to tie the game for the Hawks off a free kick assist from freshman midfielder Javi Beltran (Fall River, MA). After a RIC foul, Beltran set up from 25 yards out and put a shot directly on net. Andrade cut in front of the oncoming ball and redirected it past Tashjian to knot the game.
• The remainder of regulation and two overtime periods proved to be uneventful as the game finished in a draw.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Tashjian made eight saves in the tie (1-1-1).
• RWU senior goalkeeper Edmund Geschickter (Brookline, MA) made five stops in the tie (1-1-1).
• Roger Williams outshot Rhode Island College, 19-10, and had the advantage in corner kicks, 8-1.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Bridgewater State on Wednesday, Sept. 11 (6 p.m.).