Framingham, Mass.--Rhode Island College freshman second baseman Marissa Cushman (Cranston, RI) belted three home runs to lead the softball team to a sweep of Massachusetts Maritime in a non-conference doubleheader on Tuesday. The Anchorwomen posted a 26-0 victory (five innings) in the opener and finished the sweep with a 12-2 win (five innings) in the nightcap.
Game One: Rhode Island College 26, Massachusetts Maritime 0 (five innings)
Game Two: Rhode Island College 12, Massachusetts Maritime 2 (five innings)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Cushman went 3-for-3 with three runs scored and 10 RBI for the Anchorwomen. All three of her hits were home runs.
• RIC senior catcher Emma Simmons (Saunderstown, RI) was 5-for-5 with five runs scored and an RBI, while freshman right fielder Katrina Kazen (Warwick, RI) and sophomore first baseman Amber Wainwright (Taunton, MA) each notched three hits in the victory
• Senior Briana Gough (West Warwick, RI) pitched the complete game shutout, allowing just one hit to go along with eight strikeouts in five innings of work. Gough also went 2-for-4 with three runs scored and two RBI at the plate for the Anchorwomen.
• Freshman third baseman Malarie Pittsley (Dighton, MA) had the lone hit for Massachusetts Maritime.
• Junior Jenna Nalette (Goffstown, NH) suffered the loss for the Bucs.
• RIC scored four in the first, which included a home run by Gough, and added five in the second to take the 9-0 advantage.
• The Anchorwomen broke the game open in the third inning as they plated 15 runs, hihglighted by three home runs (all off the bat of Cushman) to go up 24-0. RIC then posted the 26-0 victory.
• RIC was led by senior first baseman Cristin Chiaverini (Pawtucket, RI) who went 3-for-4 with two runs scored and two RBI, while Cushman went 3-for-4 with a run scored and two RBI in the victory.
• Junior shortstop Melissa Cochrane (Walpole, MA) went 2-for-3 with two runs scored in the loss for MMA.
• Senior Erica Fleming (Sagamore Beach, MA) recorded the win for RIC, allowing two runs on six hits with four strikeouts.
• Pittsley took the loss for Massachusetts Maritime.
• MMA took the early lead with an unearned run in the bottom of the first.
• RIC answered immediately and used a two-run home run by Simmons as part of a seven run second inning to take the 7-1 advantage.
• The Bucs cut their deficit down to five, 7-2, on an RBI single from Pittsley in the bottom of the third.
• Again, RIC responded and used an RBI double from Cushman to push their advantage to 8-2.
• The Anchorwomen tacked on four more runs in the top of the fifth, which included a two-run single from Chiaverini, en route to the 12-2 victory.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will travel to Bridgewater State for a doubleheader on Thursday, March 21 (3 p.m.).