Bridgewater, Mass.--Senior third baseman Cristin Chiaverini (Pawtucket, RI) went 6-for-8 with two runs scored and four RBI to lead the Rhode Island College softball team to a pair of victories at Bridgewater State Sunday afternoon. RIC took the first game, 4-2, and finished the sweep with a 9-5 victory in the nightcap.
Game One: Rhode Island College 4, Bridgewater State 2
Game Two: Rhode Island College 9, Bridgewater State 5
Rhode Island College (12-8)
Bridgewater State (6-15)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Chiaverini went 3-for-4 with an RBI. Junior left fielder Shaelyn DaSilveira (Seekonk, MA) was 2-for-3 with an RBI in the win for the Anchorwomen.
• Bridgewater State senior shortstop Jenny Heller (Taunton, MA) was 1-for-1 with two runs scored and an RBI in the loss.
• RIC senior Briana Gough (West Warwick, RI) notched the complete-game victory (7-4), allowing two runs on three hits with two strikeouts. She retired 12 of the first 14 batters she faced. She also helped herself at the plate, going 1-for-3 with an RBI.
• Freshman Laura Hatch (Middleboro, MA) took the loss for Bridgewater State, allowing four runs on five hits in four innings of work.
• RIC got on the board with a run in the top of the first on an RBI double from Gough.
• The Anchorwomen added a run in the third on a sacrifice fly from freshman second baseman Marissa Cushman (Cranston, RI).
• RIC tacked on two more runs in the fourth with RBI singles from junior shortstop Kelsey Burgess (North Providence, RI) and DaSilveira for the 4-0 advantage.
• Heller had a solo home run in the bottom of the fifth and the Bears sent the tying run to the plate in the bottom of the seventh, but couldn't capitalize as RIC held on for the victory.
• Chiaverini again paced RIC, going 3-for-4 with four RBI, while Cushman was 2-for-3 with a run scored.
• Bridgewater State was led by junior second baseman Samantha Mulcahy (Taunton, MA) who went 3-for-4 with two runs scored and an RBI. Senior third baseman Courtney Gouveia (Taunton, MA) was 1-for-3 with a run scored and two RBI in the loss.
• Senior Erica Fleming (Sagamore Beach, MA) notched the complete game victory (4-2) for RIC, allowing five runs on 10 hits with three strikeouts over seven innings.
• Bridgewater State jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first. The Bears pushed across three runs in the second, including an RBI double from Mulcahy, to take the 5-0 advantage.
• RIC got on the board by scoring three unearned runs in the sixth, which included RBI singles from Fluskey and Chiaverini, to cut the deficit to two, 5-3.
• In the seventh inning, the Anchorwomen pushed across six runs, including a three-run double from Chiaverini, en route to the victory.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Worcester State on Thursday, April 11 (4 p.m.).