Providence, R.I.--Junior guard Sophia Guerrier (Waltham, MA) set the tone for the Anchorwomen defense with five steals as the Rhode Island College women's basketball team rolled past Elms College, 99-27, at The Murray Center on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 99, Elms College 27
Rhode Island College (2-0)
Elms College (0-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The Anchorwomen jumped out to a quick 12-0 lead with the help of their defense. RIC forced eight turnovers in the first five minutes of the game and never looked back.
• RIC freshman forward Izabelle Booth (Newport, RI) led all scorers with 12 points to go along with three rebounds, two assists and three steals.
• Guerrier finished with 10 points and two assists
• Sophomore center Willcia McBorrough (Providence, RI) recorded 10 points, three rebounds, one assist and a block.
• Freshman forward Neleesha Meunier (Leominster, MA) chipped in with 11 points for the Anchorwomen.
• At the half, Rhode Island College held a 51-12 lead.
• Every RIC player who dressed the game recorded at least one point.
• EC senior center Angelica Peguero-Flores (Springfield, MA) led the Blazers with eight points, eight rebounds and one assist.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC shot 51 percent (37-for-73) from the field, 40 percent (8-for-20) from behind the three-point arc and 61 percent (17 for 28) from the foul line.
• EC shot 24 percent (10-for-41) from the field, 13 percent (1-for-8) from three-point range and 60 percent (6-for-10) from the free throw line.
• RIC controlled the glass with a 42-29 advantage and Elms committed 42 turnovers in the game.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will face Westfield State in first round action of the 2019 Williams College Memorial Tournament on Friday, Nov. 22 (8 p.m.).