Franklin, Mass.--Rhode Island College junior forward Soleil Galagarza (Pawtucket, RI) scored two goals as the Rhode Island College women's soccer team suffered a 5-3 setback against Colby-Sawyer at the Dean College Bulldog Bash on Friday afternoon. It was the season-opener for both clubs.
Colby-Sawyer 5, Rhode Island College 3
Rhode Island College (0-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The Chargers jumped out to a quick start when freshman midfielder Sydney Jimmo (Shelburne, VT) set up classmate midfielder Abby Hamelin (Chesterfield, NH) in the sixth minute of action.
• After a foul inside the box, Jimmo scored on a penalty kick and then added another marker to increase the Chargers' lead to 3-0 in the 15th minute.
• RIC got on the board in the 23rd minute when Galagarza found the back of the net for her first of the season. Hamelin netted her second of the game in the 40th minute to send the Chargers into halftime with a 4-1 lead.
• Colby-Sawyer held a 10-8 shot advantage and 2-0 corner kick advantage over Rhode Island College in the first half.
• The Anchorwomen cut the deficit in half, 4-2, when Galagarza scored in the 60th minute on an unassisted goal.
• In the 85th minute, Hamelin netted the hat trick with her third of the day.
• The Anchorwomen struck back in the 88th minute when freshman midfielder Alyssa Silvestre (Warwick, RI) netted her first career goal.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC senior goalkeeper Erica Edwards (North Kingstown, RI) made nine saves in the loss (0-1).
• Chargers senior goalkeeper Sam Mitchell (Chester, NH) made seven saves in the win (1-0).
• Both teams finished with 19 shots and Colby-Sawyer led corner kicks (2-1).
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will play at Dean on Saturday, August 31 (noon) in the Anchorwomen's final contest at the Dean Invitational.