Providence, R.I.—Senior goalkeeper Erica Edwards (North Kingstown, RI) made seven saves as Rhode Island College fell, 1-0, vs. UMass Dartmouth in Little East women's soccer action played at Alumni Field on Wednesday afternoon.
UMass Dartmouth 1, Rhode Island College 0
UMass Dartmouth (3-10, 1-4 LEC)
Rhode Island College (3-10, 0-6 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC had a golden opportunity to get on the board within the first minute when freshman forward Abigail Proulx (Smithfield, RI) broke through the left side of the defense and fired a shot that was turned aside by UMD junior goalkeeper Jaimee O'Brien (West Springfield, MA).
• UMD saw its first chance to break the scoreless tie in the 13th minute when senior midfielder Jaimie Nakamura (Aiea, HI) delivered a pass to senior forward Nerida Montrond (Lynn, MA) who fired a shot that was blocked by the Anchorwomen defense.
• In the 25th minute it was the RIC defense that kept the game scoreless when a scrum in front of the net resulted in an open shooting lane for Nakamura, but her shot was rejected by freshman defender Alyssa Silvestre (Warwick, RI).
• It was not until the final minute of the first half when UMD broke the scoreless tie. Senior midfielder Jennifer Woehl (Aberdeen, SD) was set up on the back door by Montrond and junior midfielder Breana Cordeiro (New Bedford, MA) to give the Corsairs all they would need to secure the league victory.
• RIC outshot the Corsairs, 10-7, the second half, but were held off the scoreboard by O'Brien.
BY THE NUMBERS
• O'Brien made 11 saves in the win (3-9). Edwards took the loss (3-11).
• RIC held the advantage in both shots, 19-16, and corner kicks, 5-4.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island will continue Little East action at home vs. UMass Boston on Saturday, Oct. 19 (1 p.m.).