Providence, R.I.--Five players each recorded two victories to lead the Rhode Island College women's tennis team to a commanding, 9-0, victory at Bridgewater State in a Little East Conference contest played at the Rosen Memorial courts on Saturday afternoon. The win was the eighth straight to open the 2018 campaign and 30th straight regular season victory for the Anchorwomen, dating back to October 6, 2016.
Rhode Island College 9, Bridgewater State 0
RIC (8-0, 4-0 LEC)
BSU (5-5, 3-2 LEC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• RIC sophomore Emily Orticerio (Smithfield, RI) and Serena Bobola (Cranston, RI) recorded an, 8-0, win over BSU sophomore Olivia Sweeney (Taunton, MA) and freshman Vanessa Rosa (Taunton, MA) at the third doubles spot to pick up the first point of the day for the Anchorwomen.
• Sophomore Grace Zangari (Saunderstown, RI) and classmate Hailey Raskob (North Smithfield, RI) gave RIC the 2-0 advantage with an, 8-1, win against junior Emma Mills (Westport, MA) and sophomore Madison Butkus (Attleboro, MA) at No. 2 doubles.
• RIC senior Katherine Braganca (Pawtucket, RI) and sophomore Laurel Ten Eyck (Warwick, RI) registered an, 8-3, win at No. 1 doubles against the Bears tandem of senior Rachel Tarantino (Mansfield, MA) and junior Angelique Gray (Osterville, MA) for a complete sweep of the doubles action.
• Ten Eyck opened singles action with a (6-0, 6-1) victory against BSU senior Emily McGrath (North Dartmouth, MA).
• Braganca then clinched the match for RIC as she recorded a (6-1, 6-2) win at No. 4 singles over Gray.
• Raskob posted a (6-2, 6-1) victory at No. 5 singles against freshman Vanessa Rosa (Taunton, MA), while Bobola posted a (6-1, 6-2) win at No. 3 singles for the Anchorwomen.
• Zangari picked up a (6-4, 6-3) win over Mills at the No. 1 singles spot. Sophomore Victoria Vittori (New Bedford, MA) registered a (6-5, 7-5) win at No. 2 singles against Sweeney to close out the 9-0 victory.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will continue Little East action at home vs. UMass Boston on Monday, Oct. 1 (3:30 p.m.).