Springfield, Mass.—Junior setter Jacqueline Jutras (Foster, RI) and classmate outside hitter Jillian Ward (Coventry, RI) paced the Rhode Island College women's volleyball team in a 3-0 win vs. Westfield at the Springfield Invitational on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 3, Westfield State 0 (25-13, 25-23, 25-15)
Rhode Island College (1-1)
Westfield State (0-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED: RIC vs. WESTFIELD STATE
• Ward registered a match-high 16 kills and added eight digs in the victory.
• Freshman outside hitter Amelia Murphy (North Attleboro, MA) added nine kills for the Anchorwomen.
• RIC junior right side hitter Sadie Swap (Ivorytown, CT) notched seven kills, five digs and three blocks, while Jutras handed out 38 assists and seven digs.
• Westfield State was paced by senior outside hitter Brianna Starkey (Rockland, MA) with 12 kills and four digs. Junior right side hitter Ally Rega (Chelmsford, MA) added 14 set assists and seven digs in the loss for the Owls.
BY THE NUMBERS vs. WESTFIELD STATE
• RIC registered a .245 (43 kills, 18 errors, 102 attempts) hitting percentage, while Westfield State hit .132 (22 kills, 10 errors, 91 attempts) in the loss.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will face host Springfield in third round action of the Springfield Invitational.