Providence, R.I.--Sophomore outside hitter Amelia Murphy (North Attleboro, MA) led the way for the Anchorwomen with 10 kills, two digs and five blocks as the Rhode Island College women's volleyball team earned their first victory of the season with a 3-0 shutout (25-20, 26-24, 25-22) against Smith on Tuesday evening at The Murray Center.
Rhode Island College 3, Smith 0
Rhode Island College (1-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The Anchorwomen used a 10-5 scoring run to close out the first set and win by five. Freshman middle hitter Angelly Polanco (Providence, RI) had three kills to help secure the set.
• A huge block in the second set by senior right-side hitter Sadie Swap (Ivoryton, CT) and Polanco gave RIC the momentum and take a 2-0 lead in the match.
• RIC was in charge during the entire contest, with the Pioneers managing to tie a set on only one occasion.
• Polanco posted a match-high seven blocks, while senior setter Jacqueline Jutras (Foster, RI) handed out 22 assists.
• Smith junior opposite side hitter Claire Cicchetti (Menlo Park, CA) led the Pioneers with a match-high 13 kills, while freshman setter Evi Evgeniou (Thessaloniki, Greece) registered a match-high 28 assists.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC hit .133 (29-16-98) while Smith College hit .026 (30-27-111).
• The Anchorwomen also held the advantage in digs, 49-42, and blocks, 20-6.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will face Salve Regina (1 p.m.) and host Framingham State (3 p.m.) on Saturday, Sept. 14.