Bristol, R.I.--Senior setter Jacqueline Jutras (Foster, RI) handed out 27 assists as the Rhode Island College women's volleyball team suffered a 3-2 (25-20, 25-19, 17-25, 14-25, 11-15) setback at Roger Williams on Tuesday evening.
Roger Williams 3, Rhode Island College 2
Roger Williams (7-9)
Rhode Island College (6-10)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The Anchorwomen cruised out to a 2-0 lead in the match with a 25-20 win in the first set and a 25-19 victory in the second frame.
• The Hawks built momentum with a 25-17 win in the third set and a 25-14 victory in the fourth set. RWU completed the 3-0 comeback win by taking the decisive fifth set, 15-11.
• Sophomore outside hitter Amelia Murphy (North Attleboro, MA) hit .270 (15-5-37) with a team best 15 kills.
• Jutras also had nine 10 digs. Junior outside hitter Jenaeya Evans (Marietta, GA) finished with a team-best 13 digs to go along with four kills.
• RWU senior right side hitter Lara Loiacono (Lynbrook, NY) hit .545 (22-4-33) with 22 kills, while sophomore outside hitter Katherine Pickard (St. Petersburg, FL) hit .318 (20-6-44) with 20 kills.
• Sophomore outside hitter Sarah Porter (Killingworth, CT) finished with a match-high 49 assists and sophomore libero Jamie Gaffga (Mattituck, NY) notched 15 digs.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC hit .156 (36-16-128), while the Hawks hit .233 (68-33-150).
• The Hawks led in kills, 68-36, aces, 11-6, and digs, 68-44.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island will play at Wentworth on Thursday, Oct. 10 (7 p.m.).