Plymouth, N.H--Sophomore outside hitter Amelia Murphy (North Attleboro, MA) led the way for the Anchorwomen offense with 18 kills and a career-high 25 digs, as the Rhode Island College women's volleyball defeated Bridgewater State, 3-2 (24-26, 25-18, 25-15, 14-25, 15-13), at a tri-match hosted by Plymouth State in Foley Gymnasium on Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island College 3, Bridgewater State 2
Rhode Island College (7-12)
Bridgewater State University (5-10)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The first set saw both teams exchanging leads the entire way. The Anchorwomen saw their, 14-12, lead disappear after BSU scored three straight points to take the advantage, 15-14. From that point forward, both teams continued to swap points before the Bears captured the set, 26-24.
• BSU held the lead for the beginning of the second set before RIC tied the set at 12-12. RIC then went on a 13-5 scoring run and closed out the set, 25-18, to even the contest.
• RIC dominated the third set, with a lead as large as 10, 20-10, before eventually winning the stanza, 25-15, to go up by a frame, 2-1.
• BSU jumped out to a quick start in the fourth set and held a 12-3 lead. The Anchorwomen were not able to get going in the frame as the fell by 11, 25-14, to set up a decisive fifth stanza.
• In the fifth set, RIC jumped out to a 12-5 lead, before the Bears were able to mount a comeback that just fell short as the Anchorwomen won the set, 15-13, and the match, 3-2.
• Junior libero Samantha Borges (Swansea, MA) had 19 digs. Senior setter Jacqueline Jutras (Foster, RI) recorded a double-double with 35 assists and 17 digs. Sophomore libero Wynter Conlon (East Walpole, MA) added 14 digs.
• BSU junior outside hitter Abigail Gardner (Holden, MA) registered a match-high 19 kills. Junior setter Casey Holmes (Norton, MA) recorded a double-double with 40 assists and 21 digs.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC hit .133 (48-23-188) while BSU hit .090 (49-32-189)
• BSU led in kills, 49-48 and in digs 99-94.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island will resume Little East action at home vs. UMass Dartmouth on Wednesday, Oct. 16 (7 p.m.).